Why do we need to inflate a basketball? In this article, you will come to know about how to inflate a basketball? To develop proper dribbling, passing, and shooting skills, you must work with a basketball that’s properly inflated. Some basketballs come with a stamp near the inflation hole. They may look official, but the instructions are misleading. There’s no official inflation pressure for a basketball.
If there were, then basketball’s would behave differently, when you play on a hard surface like concrete than they do when you play on a soft surface like a wood court. Even wood courts have different amounts of hardness depending on their construction. The right thing to do is refer to the rules book on this topic.
What do you need to inflate a basketball?
When you buy a new ball, you do not need to fill the air in that ball. With time, every ball loses its bounce rate. Therefore It is necessary to know how to fill the air in a basketball? You should know for this purpose, what will you need to fill the air in a basketball?
1- Inflation Needle
An inflation needle is the most important thing to fill the air in a basketball. You can buy it from any general store. Find the inflation point of the ball, and put the needle in the ball.
2- Air Pump
The second necessary thing to fill the air in a basketball is Air Pump. A bicycle pump is the cheapest way to inflate the basketball. You can buy a Ball Pump or an Electric Pump to fill the air in the basketball. Ball Pump and Electric Pump are the best and easiest way to fill the air in the ball.
3- Air Pressure Gauge
“Air Pressure Gauge” has so much importance in this process. It helps to fill the air in the ball at a proper bounce rate. It is very important to maintain the air pressure and the bounce rate. If you have filled the ball, you should check the pressure with the “Air Pressure Gauge.”
Related: Best Outdoor Basketballs
An Experiment of Inflation a Basketball
Now it is time to check the bounce rate of the ball practically. You can check the bounce rate of the ball by the given experiment. Let’s experiment and see how the bounce rate of a basketball is checked?
- Hold the ball at a proper height so that its bottom sits at 6 feet, or 72 inches, and let it drop. It should bounce so that its top comes to a point somewhere between 49 inches and 54 inches.
- If there’s a place where you often practice, you can make it easier to keep your ball inflated properly by putting some marks or tape in a convenient place where the flooring is similar to where you will be playing.
- Use a tape measure to place a mark or some tape at 72 inches. Then put two marks or tape at 49 inches and 54 inches.
- Now hold the ball so that its bottom is even with the 73-inch mark. If your arm is long enough, put your head in a position between 49 and 54-inch marks. If your arm isn’t long enough, you’ll need to drop your head to that position as the ball falls.
- Now drop the ball as straight down as you can. Watch the top of the ball. In case it bounces up somewhere between the two lower marks, then the ball is ready.
- If it bounces to a spot higher than 54 inches, it has too much “, and you’ll need to let some air out. If it bounces lower than 49 inches, then you’ll need to add some air.
- Once you have done this several times, see if you can repeat the process without using the marks. Just imagine them in your mind. Check yourself every day so often against actual marks to be sure that your imagination hasn’t shifted up or down.
- You should always have a small portable air pump with you in your gym bag. The air pump will cost you about 12 to 15 dollars. Be sure to lubricate the needle before inserting it into the ball. Water is a good choice, but most people just put some spit on it. Every ball loses air over time.
- Don’t try to overinflate the ball. It can be damage. Therefore if you fill extra air accidentally, you should escape the air quickly. After some air has escaped from the ball, measure the bounce height again. And that’s it. You’re set to go. Just remember the numbers “72, 49, and 54”.
Basketball is a very tough game. It becomes difficult to play when your basketball has no proper pressure. Therefore it is necessary to maintain the pressure of basketball so that you may play with pleasure. I have told you the best and easiest way to fill the air in the basketball. If you have some better tricks, comment on us to do it more easily.